Silkie eggs, any special instructions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Helen in the Desert, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Any special instructions or advise on Silkie eggs? I tought that since they are smaller and look more delicate they might be different. REALY want these to turn out. Just put them in to cook yesterday at 99.5

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I have 6 show quality bantam silkie eggs in the incubator right now and will be putting in 12 more in a couple of days, 6 show quality LF silkies and 6 good quality silkies some where in size between a min and a bantam. I am personally just treating them like all my other eggs. Which means that I put them in the incubator and cross my fingers. [​IMG]

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:Where did you get large fowl silkie eggs from? Are you working on that project?

4. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I was told there aren't any LF silkies. That silkies are one of the few "true" bantams.

Unless somebody is breeding their bigger than average silkies together to get a LF......

5. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Where did you get large fowl silkie eggs from? Are you working on that project?

I live in the UK right now. The large fowl are suppose to be from Tinson and Hidden bloodlines. Hopefully, I will be able to get some really nice birds from these eggs. [​IMG]

6. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I just hatched silkie and silkie mixes along with NN and leghorn mixes and all were the same.

7. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    The eggs I have are definately not bantam sized. My bantam Silkie eggs are smaller than the LF. I am going to try to eventually breed my bantams down to miniature size.

Edited to add: Sorry OP [​IMG] I am just treating them like any other eggs.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by