Silkie Eggs at 23 days incubation today!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ortizamy, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ortizamy

ortizamy New Egg

Mar 23, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Ok, what should I do? I had been incubating silkie eggs, I had 5, 2 had peeped and cracked the shell, I helped them finish it out of the shelll
    cause took over 15 hours.. One died as I took it out it was gasping for a while for air..

Now I have 3 eggs and no cracks.. Should I try to open or put under mama?

She is broody with RI Red Eggs under her.. The temp is about 100 degrees .
    HELP..

2. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    Have you candled to see if they are alive and if they have started to internally pip?

3. ortizamy

ortizamy New Egg

Mar 23, 2008
    HI I put them in a float test and they moved some.. [​IMG] but Now Im wondering if I should just put them under mama.

Mama is broody and she has RI red Eggs under her.. We separated Mama from the reset of the flock.

do you think I should take her final 3 eggs and place them under her?

Thank you soo much for your input.. Im novice and dont want to lose any more if I can help it..

Sincerely. "

Amy

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Broody Mamas' always know better than we do how to hatch them so if you think she knows what she's doing then go ahead and give em to her [​IMG] Good luck!

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    However if the eggs that hen is sitting on aren't close to hatching, she may abandon those eggs for the chicks that pop out of the hatching eggs.

6. ortizamy

ortizamy New Egg

Mar 23, 2008
    HI Impress
    I will probably candle the brown ri eggs and just keep the ones that look the largest, cause there were a couple that were larger development and move over the rest to the other side where Rhode Island can sit on them.. Because the Silkie and Rhody were taking turns and now we have them separated.

so I may just bring the silkie eggs over to mama and transfer some eggs over to rhody.

Does that make sense to do so?

Thanks a bunch.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by