Silkie eggs.. new to this!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkie11, Dec 6, 2011.

1. silkie11

silkie11 New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    Hi all,

New to the form. My Name is Cynthia and I have 2 silkie chickens just as a pets. I have been going through pages and pages of info trying to get my head around things

My dilemma is. One of my hens went broody so I bought her some fertilized eggs (picked them up not mailed ones). I put them under her Monday the 14th November around 4pm. I am over the 21 day period and nothing. no peeping, no noise nothing. I candled them last night and I can see like a dark figure/blood vessels and the air sack at the bottom. I don’t know if this is what I should be seeing etc? any info would be great!

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If you set them at 4 pm general rule is you do not count that day. So, your actually on day 20. But, I would give at least 2 or 3 more days and then candle them again.

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    X2 Hope you get some cuties!! [​IMG]

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    OHHH AND [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. silkie11

silkie11 New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    thanks guys! so only day 20? how does that work what day am i counting from?

6. Sliprock

Sliprock Lazy L Farm

Dec 3, 2011
    Dublin, GA
    Wishing ya luck.

We hatched some silkies this past year. Me the wife and kids were crazy the day of the hatch...I actually left work early.. they ended up hatching late that night.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    And > THIS THREAD < might help you with your candling. [​IMG]

Good luck!

8. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    [​IMG]

Sounds like your eggs are developing, give them a couple more days and hopefully you'll have some chicks! [​IMG]

9. silkie11

silkie11 New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    So today is the 7th December in Aust. wouldnt that make her day 22/23??

10. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:Yes, you are on day 23... A full 24 hours must pass before you can count a day.. So at 4pm on the 15th would have been day 1... Technically, they should have hatched by now. The hen not keeping them heated properly can put them behind by a day or two.. So, I would let her sit on them until day 25 just to be safe. Good luck, I hope they hatch for you!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by