Silkie eggs on eggbid - why so much?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by kbbeale, Feb 1, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have no idea. i was just cruising eggbid and ebay. i've got the hatching bug. i was also wondering why these were going for so much. Hope someone can shed some light.

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I don't know the seller, but the birds DO look nice. Bit pricey for eggs, but they seem to be a nice stock.

I know Bobbi Porto sells a dozen for $40.

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
  5. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Take a look at the bidding info and you can get a clue, some sellers use thier friends to push a higher bid and others don't pay anyway...

6. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Having been using auctions for a long time now and having sold things for BIG $$....more than I could even imagine at the time.... pictures.....pictures......pictures.......... are everything. They tell the story . Usually it takes only 2 people really wanting an item bAd enough to rais amounts this high. But it really doesn't surprise me at all.
    Were the pictures BAD, then cause for doubt or shill bidding might come to mind. But these birds make a great presentation. One man's trash is another man's treasure holds true in circumstances like this.:<)
    Just my experience speaking.............[​IMG]

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Exactly.
    I have had some plain ol WC Black polish bantam eggs sell repeatly last year 4 times actually for $80-$90 per dozen. Just depends on how bad someone wants them!
    Just like the black silkie pullet we were all talking about on there a week or so back that sold for $1250.00, which was abserd! Hattrick aint even that high, but for some reason, the Eggbid crowd has a fetish for silkies right now??
    Aubrey

P.S. I dont care how good they are by the way, those prices are crazy, I love my silkies, but in the end, they are chicken eggs, with no guarentees, but hey, if a seller can get it more power to them!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:Yeah I was just going to mention that. I was "browsing" last night. Everything he has seems to go for big bucks. I am sure there is a reason. However I wont buy eggs for that much, because I cant afford it if they dont hatch because of some unforseen event.. And I am not in the catagory of buying $1k birds......... YET [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  9. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Boy o boy...don't I WISH I could sell eggs....... or even a bird for that matter even close to those prices. Timing and $$ in the pocket is EVERYthing.
    On ebay 1 time I sold a sewing cabinet I'd purchased for $25.00 in a second hand shop..........for a whopping $1,800.00 in a 3 day auction. Good lord I thought it was a JOKE. Heck no! Little did I know they were made for 1 year only and everyone was fighting over it. I sweated bullets til it was delivered safely....and they said they liked it!LOL
    So there ya go. It is any man's guess what folks are willing to part with for something they really want. [​IMG] That is why auctions are so much fun!

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Ha
    I hear ya,
    I thought for sure I was going to have to file a none paying bidder claim with eBay on those bantam eggs, but was paid instantly all 4 times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by