Silkie Eggs On The Way!! UPDATED - HELP DETACHED AIR CELLS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shayna, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Ok so I have 2 dozen silkie eggs currently in the mail! [​IMG] I couldn't be more excited, but I want it to be as successful as possible. The incubator is up and ready, with the egg turner running to test everything. So far, so good, I think. Now I've read that the longer you wait to incubate eggs, the lower your chances of a hatch. I know most of these eggs have already sat throughout the weekend until they could be shipped today.
    How much longer should I have them sit before I begin incubating?? I know settling can be important to the air cell.
    Will I be able to determine on a little silkie egg if the air cell needs to settle?
    Should I determine this based off of how the condition off the eggs and packaging appears when it arrives?
    Is it best to let them set for a day to settle INSIDE the incubator while it's running with turner off, or would that be bad? I've read conflicting opinions on this.
    Please give me as much advice as possible on which you think is best and why. Thanks much!!!!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I wait 24 hours before putting the eggs in the bator
    also i like to candle the eggs before put them in the bator, I do this the night teh eggs arrive when all lights are off.
    Sometimes you can get internal cracks , i do not load cracked eggs

Heat wil determine a god or bad hatch

my best hatches are on cold weather my worst hatches are on hot weather (for shipped eggs)

3. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Thanks - I'm hoping 24 hours will be plenty long. I'm really eager to get them in the bator when they arrive Friday!! Wondering if I will be able to see the attached or detached air cell in the egg when they arrive and I candle them... I should know on Friday:)

4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I set mine day I get them and leave the turner off for a day.
    Wondering if I will be able to see the attached or detached air cell in the egg when they arrive and I candle them...

Yes you can see a detached air cell. If its a dark egg maybe not.
    So much fun getting shipped eggs [​IMG] Good luck with you hatching [​IMG]

5. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Yes you can see a detached air cell. If its a dark egg maybe not.
    So much fun getting shipped eggs [​IMG] Good luck with you hatching [​IMG]

Thank you. I'm so nervous! Hoping for a decent hatch!

6. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I received my eggs today, but the majority of them appear to have the air cell detached. A couple of them are broken into bubbles, but many are not. Is 24 hours long enough to allow them to settle and reattach if they are going to?

Thanks for any helpful info!

7. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Just my opinion....and just from my experience~~~I allow shipped eggs to sit, undisturbed at room temperature in my house for 24 hours. Then I place them IN the incubator, IN the turner, but do not switch on the turner for 3 DAYS. Incubating for 3 without turning helps any detached air cells to re-attach. On day 4, I switch on the turner and incubate as usual.

Good luck---shipped eggs are ALWAYS a gamble, but sometimes worth it

8. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion. This is my first time incubating, and hoping for the best! I bought 2 dozen with hopes of having 6 babies. My incubator has been up and running for over a week now and it's ready for some eggs. I will probably go ahead and put them in tomorrow without the turner on. I may give it a try at leaving turner off for 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by