1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ozark hen, Dec 2, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Could someone please post some pictures of silkie eggs? I have one silkie hen who is five months old now and I do not know if she is laying eggs yet or not? I can only assume they will be really small? I have red stars, cochins, b.orps and ee's laying right now and am thinking she must be laying too? Thanks a bunch ahead of time.

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Ozark, I tried to send a pic from my camera phone to Ed's camera phone to upload to my PC but i dont have enough credit on my ph till tommorrow, I have a decent pic, however they are 3/4 the size of a standard chicken egg and smaller still if they are pullets.
    Hopefully someone else can help out in the meantime.
    Sorry
    Helen

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Yes, they are small, about half the size of a normal egg, and usually pale brown. You'll know if your Silkie is laying along with your standards because it will be the smallest egg out of the bunch.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Here's a pic of our 1st Silky egg...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Well, thanks guys. I was worried that she had laid an egg and I missed it! I assume they will stay that small? I have three silkies and couldn't tell what sex they were till about a month ago when my Ty Pennington started crowing. It was just too funny to hear him. Now he chases the big girls and cracks us up! I have a white one and a black one. I was guessing the black one was a hen since her head was rounded and the white one's head had some "off-shoot" long feathers like Ty's. I was right finally as the white one..who up to now was called blondie [​IMG] and the hen was called Rod Stewart. Well, now I have to rename them. White one finally crowed yesterday. I still don't think I am finding the one silkie's eggs yet. I go into the coop several times a day and only see my big girls in the nesting boxes(which are on the floor). I have never seen my silkie in a nesting box so she may be hiding them somewhere outside since they all free range. I really appreciate the photos.
    I will watch for your photo, too, Helen. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by