Silkie eggs...?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by UrbanFarmerGreg, Oct 12, 2011.

1. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Can you eat silkie eggs? If so, what are some good recipes for them?

2. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Yes, I eat them all the time. Same recipes as other eggs but use 4 when calls for 2 since they are smaller.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, treat the same as any other egg, just smaller. Maybe 2 or 3 to an extra large egg in a recipe.

4. UrbanFarmerGreg

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok Thank you. I just picked up 2 silkies this week and was wondering if I could eat the eggs and if there was a significant difference in flavor compared to that of a leghorn or barred rock...

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    All chicken eggs have the same insides, the outsides are just different. For example, some eggs are white, some are brown, green, blue ect. But that doesn't make a difference in taste.
    You can certainly eat those silkie eggs. The only times that you can't eat your chickens eggs is when you are worming them or if they are on any medication.
    Congratulations on the silkies and enjoy those eggs!
    And [​IMG]

6. UrbanFarmerGreg

Oct 11, 2011
    So regardless of what breed the hen is I can eat the eggs? Thats good to know... I have Indian runner ducks and i know their eggs are much stronger flavour then the Leghorns I have. I am fairly new to this poultry 'stuff' and am very much interested in everything to do with them. I got my first ducks last summer and about a month ago purchased a breeding pair of leghorns, and now i have silkies... so I was curious, Thanks for the info

7. toritori

toritori Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Saranac Inn, NY
    Silkie eggs are fabulous!! Just plan on doubling for (or close to doubling) recipies as they tend to be smaller. they are totaly a pain in the neck to peel if you hard boil them, but I've heard that's true for all "really fresh" eggs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by