Lokibinian

Chirping
May 17, 2017
Once again, I look to Backyard Chickens for help.

My family noticed one of our two and a half month old silkies not moving in the run, while the others were running and scratching around. He brought him/her inside in a plastic tote. I rubbed homemade salve all over the legs, because it appeared to be a leg injury. We gave a little Poly-vi-Sol and a drop of Vitamin E in the water, for a boost of vitamins, and I fed some scrambled eggs with probiotic powder. He/She ate half of the eggs and left it alone. He/She barely drinks or eats, and hardly moves. He/She also had pasty butt in the morning, which we cleaned. I sometimes have to dip his/her beak in the water to remind her to drink. I feel as if she/he was bullied, one side of his/her head is barer compared to the other side.

I'm worried because she/he is not eating nor drinking on her own, and he/she doesn't even stand up. Any advice? Did anybody else experience this?

Last edited:
The silkie could be dehydrated from not getting around well on the leg to eat and drink. Google chicken slings and chairs. Those can be good to get the chick upright and set food and water right in front of it, while resting the leg. Is the leg held out to the side or turned at an angle? You might even consider learning to tube feed for a few days if the chick needs to be given nurishment to save it's life. Also at this age, they can suffer from coccidiosis which can make them weak and lethargic. Symptoms include acting sleepy, hunched or puffed up, no appetite, and extreme weakness which can affect walking.

The leg is held out to the side, yes. How do I tube feed?

How can I be sure it's coccidiosis? My silkie is exhibiting all of the symptoms you listed.

The silkie isn't even getting up to poo, and the droppings stick to the feathers, which I clean constantly. Like always, I checked the droppings and saw a drop of blood. I'm now terrified he/she is going to die.
Has anybody tried the milk flush for a chicken with coccidiosis and saw positive results?

I have not used a milk flush, but the recommended doses for cocci are very effective. I had two girls that had a bad case of cocci, they looked very pale and depressed before I figured it out and started to medicate. The corid fixed hem right up. Head over to TSC or other farm store tomorrow and pick some up. Keep us posted!

It sounds like your silkie might have a leg bone deformity or a possible slipped tendon, but a picture would help. Corid (amprollium, ampromed) is a good treatment for coccidiosis. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid mixed in 1 gallon of water. Give it for 5-7 days as the only source of water and change it daily. Make sure it is drinking plenty. Here is some info about coccidiosis:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Here is a good thread on tube feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/

Just a quick update on the silkie's behavior:
I feel he/she's not drinking a lot, but she/he does drink a bit. She/he eats the milk mix as soon as I put it in front of her, and she/he eats for about a minute.

Sometimes she/he gets up for about thirty seconds, then sits right back down, head lowered, not moving.

When not sleeping, she/he moves her head around, so I hope he'll/she'll be alright.

Back
Top Bottom