Silkie experiment crossed Buff/Spash silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Freckle Face Farm, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    So this is an experiment on what you get when you cross a buff (hen) and a spalsh (roo) silkie.. I have put the eggs in the bator. I should have a very staggered hatch. I think 5 eggs so far if she keeps laying I will add those as well.I will keep you posted on how it goes and what colors they might be... [​IMG]

If anyone wants to join in or show what you have gotten from crossing please join in [​IMG]
    This is my Roo Bobbi Porto line..
    [​IMG]

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    They should be blue birds with some buff showing on the back of the males. The females should be blue or blue with some buff on their backs or blue with light blue on their backs. The females could show some silver (light blue) or buff on the breasts and head.

I do not know if the male parent is silver or gold. Blacks, blues and splash birds could be either silver or gold. That is why the females will show some silver (white) or buff (gold).

Tim

3. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

Am getting a bit further in the buff/splash silkie colors. Will have Buff, Splash, Lavendar, & Buff/Blue in the mix for spring. Fancy & Bee are blue/buffs. Fancy has a smoky colored face, beautiful S-shape to her and really struts her stuff. THey are with my splash hen
    [​IMG]
    The upcoming boys will be a lavendar, and a buff... maybe a splash but its looking very "girlie". [​IMG] Here with Gator the splash crest looks quite rounded, no streamers yet.
    [​IMG] Fancy, she's a little talker too!
    Big Bertha, looking a golden buff in the sun [​IMG]
    Silkies & cochins [​IMG]

4. ShysCreations

Wonder what silkie BYC members would term the young roo on the left? He is next to a splash pullet. I'll check a post about lavendar feathers...
    He may be a very washed out splash though his light color is not at all like the light color of the splash. He has a couple dark feathers which seems to indicate splash.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Could be a diluted splash...

6. ShysCreations

After anxious waiting, the first chicks have hatched from my buff/splash/lav silkie group!!! One has faint stripes on the back.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ShysCreations

Is anyone else still working on this color cross?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by