Silkie expert needed.What pullet or cockeral Pictures are now numbered

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Country Living Farm, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Ok, 5 chicks total. The first are the youngest. You will be able to tell. Then the rest start. There are a few pictures of each. What do you think.

picture 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

picture 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

picture 3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture 4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  2. yzmike777

yzmike777 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Cedar City
    I have no idea, but just wanted to comment on how beautiful your white one is! The others are adorable as well I have one white one dark one too, right now they kinda look like they are out of a Dr. Sues book so it is exciting to see your older ones! Thanks for posting I will wait and see what others think about their gender [​IMG]

3. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    the silkies with naked necks always crack me up [​IMG]

also i dont have a clue:confused: sorry

4. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    I'm pretty sure the blue showgirl is a roo. I'm not sure on the others. How many have combs?

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Can you number the pics so we can tell which is the same bird. I am not expert and they are very young to sex but I do think I see a hen and a roo in the showgirls. I could be wrong it would not be the first time.
    They are very pretty either way.

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I'm sorry but I'm very confused....are there multiples of each?? I can't tell what bird I'm looking at. It would be helpful if you numbered each one.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Number 4 is a showgirl pullet. I think your white silkie is a pullet as well. It's the roundness of the poofs.

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Ok thanks for numbering. I am not expert as you were asking for but here are my 2 cents.
    1 I was thinking pullet till the last pic now I do not know
    2 pullet
    3 roo and
    4 pullet
    I am also judging by the roundness of the crest with the showgirls. On the silkie I see no streamers.
    The showgirls are still a bit young to sex althoug very nice.
    I sent you a pm

9. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    ok my thoughts,
    pic 1 hen
    pic 2 hen
    pic 3 roo
    pic 4 hen

at this age, you can start feeling a bump if it is a roo...or you should be able to...but if i were you, i wouldnt get rid of ANY until you hear it crow... even the most experienced breeder i know cant tell them apart 100 percent until after they are really getting in their comb. and i've sold many birds that i've kicked myself in the butt afterwards.

10. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Hey Fluffy Butt what was your deciding factor on #1? I was also thinking pullet but the 3rd pic from the last had me worried. The crest is kinda swayed back in that one. If that pic was left out I also would have said pullet no doubt. I am new to this and have not acutally seen a showgirl up close and personal. So I am just making an educated guess and could be 100% dead wrong. Just testing my skills as I expect showgirls here soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by