silkie expert..showgirl questions.I now have pictures...Comment needed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Country Living Farm, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Ok. I have the opp. to get a silkie showgirl rooster. What I need to know is should I get him and put with my non-showgirl flock? IF I do what will I hatchout?

Second question, what should I look for in this rooster. I have three to choose from....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2009
  2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well if you put a sg roo over silkies you should hatch about 50 % of both sg and silkies.

I personlly would look for small combs and wattles (hard to find with sg roos) and the color you want. basically you look for the same charecteristics as you would for a silkie and it is your choice on how naked you like their necks, some have bow ties some dont some have muffs and beards some dont etc...

can you post pics of them?

3. Country Living Farm

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    I do not have pictures. I am going to look at them tomorrow. I can not take all three right now, so I have to chose one.

If I hatch out 50/50 and then cross a SG offspring back to a Pure SG will I take out the other silkie gene, meaning will I start getting all SG???

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    i replied to your pm but i will here also and some one correct me please if I am wrong, but I think that you will get mostly sg when breeding 2 sg together but there is a slim chance for some silkies as well.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You have two things you need to consider. Typiness and variety. Since you are planning to breed to your current flock, variety takes a bit of precedence over typiness--not that you should get a very poor type of an appropriate variety, ignoring one with superb type that is a "wrong" variety--it's a balancing act.

Except for the naked neck, a showgirl should have all silkie traits, including body type. So, pick the best silkie from the showgirls. Don't ignore any trait, but the bird that speaks to you from a distance is probably the best type.

If you have black silkies and the showgirl choices are blue, splash or buff, the blue or splash will be match as far as varieties. If you have partridge and the choice is buff or white, I personally would take my risks on white ( [​IMG] ) because I know that buff will mess up both partridge and buff. If I had partridges and the choices were grey or white, I would choose grey. I'm kind of stabbing in hte dark at varieties as I do not know what you have and what you will be considering.

Your sig says you have white and splash, so your best choices for

- white silkie hens are white, partridge or grey SG roo, realizing that the later are mere guesses

- splash silkie hens are black, blue or splash SG roo

6. Country Living Farm

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    My hens are:

Black
    splash
    white (two of them)

I have a white roo now and a from what I was told a Columbian roo. The Columbian roo is not with them right now.

I just talked to the person withthe silkies again.

He has three white, and two buff. I am thinking to stick with the best white I see and stay away from the Buff????right??

7. Country Living Farm

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Ok. I just got home. Here are the pictures. Two are partridge and two are normal and one is SG. I have a picture of one of my silkie too. Tell me wht you think he is....mut, ect....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2009
  8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    so is the white your new SG? cute!

the partridge looks to have a single comb (top right pic) (you will want to breed that out) other than that the last one has a big comb but that too can be worked on.

I would use the white with your girls and see what hapens. They all have decent crests and are nice and fluffy that is good [​IMG]

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    is that the metal you would use for tile work (sub flooring) at the bottom of your cage with the buffs? if so that stuff is very sharp (I have some in my garage and considered using it also) and I would not use it as a floor for the chooks as they will probably hurt their feet on it in time. maybe as sides but if it is the stuff I think it is I would replace iot with something with softer edges like welded and even rubber coated hardware cloth.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  10. Country Living Farm

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Normally I have cardboard over the metal. I just got home and put them in their. They were getting hot...Needed to cool them down fast..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by