silkie experts! boy or girl?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bearwood, Jul 4, 2010.

1. bearwood

bearwood New Egg

Aug 17, 2009
    [​IMG][/img]

[​IMG]

Hey anyone want to guess this chicks gender its 2 weeks old, thankyou.

2. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    You really cannot tell with silkies until they are about 4 months old. At this point, I would say a girl, but I would not put that one down in the books until it is at least 4 months old.

3. bearwood

bearwood New Egg

Aug 17, 2009
    Ok Thanks for your thoughts, never had silkies before so will post a new picture at a later date and you can have another look.

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have no clue but now I know when to take pictures of my silkies and post them because I would hope to have one of each anyway. Does anyone know whether they have charataristics like other chickens where they feather slower if they are male? I know my poor barred rock rooster is just now getting head feathers when all the girls are completely feathered.

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    can you hear me now? :

I have no clue but now I know when to take pictures of my silkies and post them because I would hope to have one of each anyway. Does anyone know whether they have charataristics like other chickens where they feather slower if they are male? I know my poor barred rock rooster is just now getting head feathers when all the girls are completely feathered.

Males usually have a slicked back crest and might have a bumpier comb. Also males have streamers...I think they are some longer feathers on the head/tail, but I can never tell in the pics I see people saying something about streamers lol. Females will have a poofy crest and smooth-ish comb.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by