1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Experts: Can you please help me decide roo or hen? 10wk+

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PittyPat_Super_Frizzle, Aug 8, 2011.

1. PittyPat_Super_Frizzle

PittyPat_Super_Frizzle New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi all -

I bought some silkies this weekend to add to my flock, and the breeder was fairly confident he was handing me a rooster (splash) and a hen(black). After looking on some threads, I am not so sure that the little black chick is in fact a little girl... can I enlist the help of some trained eyes? Thanks in advance:

bird #1:Is this a pullet or roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bird #2: My splash silkie, the breeder was (and so I am I) fairly confident that he's a little roo
    [​IMG]
    Both of the little ones together:
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/102966_100_3925.jpg

I appreciate any help you could give me... thanks!
    --Liz

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Both look like roos to me. Very nice though [​IMG]

3. PittyPat_Super_Frizzle

PittyPat_Super_Frizzle New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    I am trying to learn how to tell the difference, can you tell me why you think they are both roosters? Also, the blue/black bird has some iridescent green feathers... is this the sign of a rooster? Thanks so much!

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I can see some male feathers (Streamers) and the stance... also after years of silkie raising.. just a hunch, I'm not 100 though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by