silkie experts.....get your glasses on please!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lurky, Nov 18, 2007.

1. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OK. These are close ups of my 4 blue silkies. I see a few of those little streamers coming off the heads of a few and i wonder if its real. I have seen peoples girls with a few of these and i wonder if this means i have boys. The all blue one is not showing a single sign of being a boy, but i thought i would add her in here anyway. So the first is her...all blue.

[​IMG]

the next 3 are of one bird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next 2 are of the 3rd one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the last 2 are of the 4th:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and any opinions will be appreciated........even if its not what i want to hear.

2. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Wow this is a tough one. They are really pretty. Can you feel the walnut on top of their head?

3. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    [​IMG] Here is my male Gourdie. He is the one in the back. The female Pumpkin is up front.

4. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:The blue one has a very vaulted head. One of the spash has a slight vault. The other 2 none. Is that what you mean? They have no comb or waddles, but a slight microscopic reddening has started. Also they are 4 month and 1 week old.

5. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    The males get a red bumpy area on their forehead just above their eyes. I think a females top feathers are fuller. Could be just my opinion.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I don't know, they are either girls or boys. [​IMG] The blue I would definitely go with girl. The splashes don't really look definitely boyish or girlish. [​IMG] Maybe some comb pics will help.

7. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    The males you will see the comb forming more then the girls, in all of the pictures they all look girls to me, even the buffs but i cant really see the combs well on the buffs.

I love the splashes! You both have cute birds!!

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:They might if they had anything, but they dont. They have barely changes since little babies. That why i am still hoping girls. The biggest sign for me is the tails. They look all roo-like on at least 2 of the splash's. But could a boy this old have no comb or waddles yet?

9. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    WOOHOO Wendy!
    Sounds like from the others you have all girls!! Want a roo or 5 hahahha. If you do want a roo let me know ! You have my number. Sorry I didnt call you yesterday I was at a wedding and didnt get home till midnight! I did see your post today and it sounds like you have a broody girl. Do you want some eggs [​IMG] . I will help you out if you want.
    Take Care
    Cristina

10. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I sent you a PM today so go check it. And i might want a roo when i am sure i dont have any. If you saw these in person....you would see i wont be sure till i see each one lay an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by