Silkie experts help please -roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickensioux, Nov 2, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is my 9-10 week old silkie and I am unsure if it is a roo or hen. I have a roo and I'm concerned about putting this one up with the others if it is a roo. My other roo is HUGE. What do you think? Thanks

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I think it might be a pullet, any streamers on its head? I cant see any [​IMG]

3. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    This is why I asked the experts. Pardon my ignorance but what are streamers? I have 2 silkies and don't know much about them other than they are precious and I love them. Are streamers the beginnings of a comb? [​IMG]

4. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I just got a Black silkie Baby. I don't know a thing about them. I sure would like any info anyone can give. I am interested in knowing about Streamers also.[​IMG] I will try to get a close up pic. of my Baby. What do you look for, when trying to find out what you have?

Chickensioux, That is some cute Silkie

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    streamers are longer feathers on the tops of their heads. they look out of place and only the boys get them. I will try to get some pics of one with them...

6. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks! I should learn more about them since I have some. Shame on me.....

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok here are 2 threads with the pics being boys, they have the "streamers" a females crest (fluff on head) will be an even length with out any weird longer feathers sticking out towards the back.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261693

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=262296

this is the thing I look for first when sexing silkies. So far I have ben able to sex now with great results using this over comb size, nd size alone. But if your bird is bigger than the others and has streamers and a wider comb it is a boy for sure [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    thats a bit too young for most people to know the sex when it comes to silkies. It would help to see a shot of the bids entire body, posture, tail.
    But even with all that, most would be taking a guess at that age. Sweet looking silkie either way.

9. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Honestly I had a splash silkie that up until 5 months old, everybody including me, swore was a pullet. No streamers, no rooish behavior, and the comb wasn't large at all. Then all of a sudden I'm outside one morning and I hear a new crow [​IMG]. Moral of the story - wait and see [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by