Silkie Experts Help!

randiferina

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2016
Georgia
Can someone help me out with this little thing here... It hatched out solid white.. Grew in white initially.. Started seeing some black/blue specks at few weeks.. At that point I'm excited assuming it's splash.. Now at 16 weeks I'm confused lol there's all this buff coloring coming through.. What's going on here? I've never seen a splash this color before :confused: I believe the person I get the hatching eggs from only has blues, blacks, and splashes...

Attachments

• 20180811_093159.jpg
    20180811_093159.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180811_093227.jpg
    20180811_093227.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180811_093207.jpg
    20180811_093207.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 22
Yeah, it looks like blue or splash with some buff, red or partridge genes involved. If the parent stock was all blue, black and splash there must be some hidden color genes somewhere in their genetics and some combination in the cross caused them to be expressed and obvious to the eye.

I am not sure what you would call the coloring of this particular bird other than a color mix. It is very pretty!

@Gray Farms will probably have some ideas.

All the birds I saw were splashes blues and a few blacks... I had 4 silkie eggs total and a few other breeds.. 2 hatched black and grew out black.. One hatched this cute cloud color, grew out white, started to see some splash coming through, and then a hawk got it :hit This little one hatched white and is growing out into this interesting mess lol

Idk where she got her birds from originally.. Maybe some buff in their background :confused:

Yeah, it looks like blue or splash with some buff, red or partridge genes involved. If the parent stock was all blue, black and splash there must be some hidden color genes somewhere in their genetics and some combination in the cross caused them to be expressed and obvious to the eye.

I am not sure what you would call the coloring of this particular bird other than a color mix. It is very pretty!

@Gray Farms will probably have some ideas.

Very interesting! We didn't purchase for any sort of breeding.. Just gave some eggs to one of my broodies and all are pets.. I do love splash coloring and was excited to have one. This color stumped me! I am anxious to see how it fully grows out.. It has changed so much over the weeks.. It's def pretty :)

All the birds I saw were splashes blues and a few blacks... I had 4 silkie eggs total and a few other breeds.. 2 hatched black and grew out black.. One hatched this cute cloud color, grew out white, started to see some splash coming through, and then a hawk got it :hit This little one hatched white and is growing out into this interesting mess lol

Idk where she got her birds from originally.. Maybe some buff in their background :confused:
It is beautiful, though. I myself enjoy this type of surprise. She is just as good as a pure color. And she can still be used in breeding if that is what you want to do-- you just need to let buyers know the chicks are of mixed colors. Most won't care because Silkies are popular as pets.

Can someone help me out with this little thing here... It hatched out solid white.. Grew in white initially.. Started seeing some black/blue specks at few weeks.. At that point I'm excited assuming it's splash.. Now at 16 weeks I'm confused lol there's all this buff coloring coming through.. What's going on here? I've never seen a splash this color before :confused: I believe the person I get the hatching eggs from only has blues, blacks, and splashes...

I found a post a while back from someone who might be very interested in this Silkie ...
@SilkiesRcool - Is this what you're looking for? Sure looks like it, to me!

Pure speculation, but looks like a blue partridge... I am seeing a lot of Partridge Silkies lately... I don't know if that would be the right terminology (blue partridge) for that particular color... I bet it is a rooster, though. I have an EE rooster that is that color, pale blue with brown wing spots that color.

Back
Top Bottom