Silkie Experts - I Need Your Help With These 5 Month Olds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PamB, Dec 8, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I have a bunch of 5 month old silkies. I only have one confirmed roo. He crows and mates. No one else in the flock does either...and no one else in the flock is as large as him or has a comb his size. They all came from the same breeder. They are pet quality (obvious from the pics.) Can you guys help me out??

This is my Roo, Taz. (Just to give you a comparison to the others)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SUSPECT #1: WATTLES
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SUSPECT #2: BOOP BOOP
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SUSPECT #3: TACO
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SUSPECT #4: SUNNY
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So, like I said, no crowing/mating, same age as Taz. None of them challenge Taz ever. Any ideas??? Thanks!

2. ezgreen

ezgreen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    I am not an expert, but wanted to let you know that I have 10 silkies, and only one hen is laying and she is older than the others. And my rooster is also much larger. I just posted similar questions, too. [​IMG]

Here are the silkies that were given to me this week. The only hen laying is one that I already had. And that is the only one the rooster mates with.

(my apologies to those that have seen this picture a million times already. [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

3. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Cute Silkies, EZGreen

Noone has ANY guesses???

4. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    those all look like roos to me but the experts will tell you its way to early the black 1 may be a hen but rest im pretty sure are roosters

5. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:That's what I think too...but, boy they sure don't act like roos.

6. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley

lol my silkie roos get in nest box throw straw over there shoulder and sing egg song and mount eachother i dont think even they can tell difference.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

8. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA

It's very likely they don't act like roos because you already have a dominant rooster. The light colored ones look like they might be leaning towards boy but not sure on the black one.

9. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT

It's very likely they don't act like roos because you already have a dominant rooster. The light colored ones look like they might be leaning towards boy but not sure on the black one.

So, does that mean that if they are roosters, there is a possibility that they will get along because they know their place? Like I said, no one else besides the dominant one mates or crows! It is as though he is the only rooster....is there a possibility that they will just continue to live this way?

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It's hard with those pics, but they all look girly to me. Silkies can be hard though. Try to take a empty pen and put in a docial hen, put each young bird in, one at a time and see if any make the moves on her...... LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by