Silkie experts, is this a boy or girl.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by willowcol, Jan 11, 2009.

1. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Was just wondering if you guys think this is a boy or girl?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My guess and Guess only I think it's a pullet. How old is it?

3. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Not very old it hatched 11/20, so that would make it almost 8 weeks old. I had someone tell me that it was definately a boy when they saw a picture of it I sent them and that I should sell it to them. I am planning on keeping a few roo's anyways so that doesn't bother me. Was just trying to figure out if you really could tell it was definately a boy or if they were messing with me.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    It is very early to be certain with silkies........but from my minimal experience i would bet on it being a girl

5. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Thank you for you opinion, I have a few that instead of the rounded top notch have more of a windblown back looking hairdo. I was thinking they looked more like roo's. These are my first silkies and was going to sell around 4, but it seems as though I should just keep all 15 I have til I can tell for sure if they are hens or roo's. This one is my favorite and is staying no matter what, just as sweet as can be.

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    It is early, but looks like a girl.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

A pullet is what I guess also. Even though I cant guess my own. [​IMG] lol

8. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    My guess would be a pullet

9. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Looks like a pullet to me too. If it has streamers at the back (long, thin, whispy feathers, then it's most likely a boy, but judging only from the front, it looks like a girl. At 2 1/2 to 3 months, it's much easier for me to tell.

10. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Thank you all for helping with your opinions. I think it is just such a pretty girl/boy I could never let it go anywhere. I will add pics in a month or 2 and see if its still maybe a girl. Thanks again for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by