1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie experts!!!! looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bangor777, Jun 9, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Hi guys,
    my silkies were born 5/14, so they're almost 4 weeks old. I have 8 straight run. Here's my question: exactly 4 have big round powder puff tails and 4 have pointy feather tails (more like my other chickens) The four with the feather tails have wide combs, while the 4 with the cotton ball tails have narrow combs. I keep hearing that sexing silkies is next to impossible. Are these things just coincidental??? Thanks! also the feather tailed chicks are noticeably heavier too.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I saw some other talk going on in the "What breed or gender is this" section on this forum. I have been reading up some on the Silkies and happen to notice that one while surfing.
    There are a few posts that show how you can see the differences from pullet to roo so you may be able to tell with yours but I don't remember anything about the tails.
    Wish I could help you more but mine are only 2 weeks old and I have no idea if they are roos or pullets yet.
    You can do a search on here but you may find a lot of info to go through and maybe just going to the discussion part and going back a few pages you'll find it easier.
    Good luck![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by