Silkie experts needed! NEW PICS!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SundownWaterfowl, Dec 9, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 4 Silkies. Im thinking I have 3 females and 1 male. The 1 that I think is a male has shiny neck feathers that look like hackles, and its voice is very deep, like a roosterish voice. lol
    They were hatched on Sept. 6th 08.
    Now, the 3 hens have high voices like hens do, and no hackles.

This is the "rooster". Silkie 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silkie 2 Female?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silkie 3 Female?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silkie 4 This is a small silkie. Female?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Can you get pics of the combs and of them standing?

3. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Yes, I will try tomorrow.

Also, how old are they when the males start to get their hackles, and streamers?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    One and three look like females, # 2 a male and 4 I cant tell. Comb pics could make a difference.[​IMG]

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    # 1 deifinitely Roo, His stance gives it away along with his tail and spikey head feathers. I agree with the rest, need to see full body pics. Number 2 looks a little iffy to me.

6. SundownWaterfowl

This is #4. Which I am 99.999% sure that this one is a pullet. She is the smallest one who was getting stepped on and bullied when she tried to eat, so she will be inside with me for a couple days. A temporary house chicken. [​IMG]

Excuse the muddy feathers, she was outside in the mud yesterday lol. Isnt she gorgeous? [​IMG]

By the way, the number 2 silkie is non-vaulted, which is why her poof isnt as big. The other 3 are vaulted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

Here are some pictures of silkie #2. This silkie does not have a vault. Im guessing female.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm concerned about #1.... I can't get a good look at his comb or face. I'm thinking he may be a she!? The others look pulletish to me too. The first one resembles my pullet I used to think was a roo, but turned out the she was a he and the he was a she... leave it to silkies to do that to ya!

9. SundownWaterfowl

Anybody else know? [​IMG]

10. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i believe #2 3 and possibly 4 are roos. if they have that comb over to the back. if its got like strands longer that dont really stand up but look like someone combed them. then its a male normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by