Silkie experts please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pbjmaker, Nov 5, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Is a domed head a more desireable trait on a silkie? Is that a specific gene?

Just wondering - so far I have 3 new silkie chicks and one has a definate dome. I was even thinking of naming it and the first silkie to hatch Pinky and The Brain.

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    It is a trait that happens. It doesn't neccessarily mean they will have a huge crest. I like mine to look like they have a button cap on. Nice flat round head. I have had some with huge crest with large Cone head when hatched.

Here is an example of some with what i call button caps
    [​IMG]
    This one was a cone head and has a great crest also.

[​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] cute babies [​IMG]

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
  5. One thing I have learned about silkies is really quite remarkable.
    They have a small hole in the top of their heads. Yep, if you drop them on their little pointy heads you could kill them. When I see a silkie in the barn dead from no apparent reason I attribute the death to this. It does not happen often, but it does happen. So this is where the "vaulted skull" comes in play. Not all silkies have this and I do believe and have seen in the 25 or so silkies that we have that it does not determine the top notch shape.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Beautiful silkie babies! They are just so adorable when they're young, and then when they get older, too. i have two kids, eight weeks old tomorrow. One has a huge do. i can't even see her eyes anymore. Will take pics tomorrow!

And, i've heard about that hole in the head thing. i understand that's why you don't want to house silkies with larger breeds, as a peck on the head could be deadly.

7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have one EE pullet and one Cuckoo Maran pullet, but everything else I have is banty sized. I appreciate the warning about the bigger birds though. I knew they had a hole on the top of their head but didn't think about what would happen if someone pecked it.

8. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:It did - thank you [​IMG]

9. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:The hole in the head comes from the vaulted skull. Which means most (if not all) crested breeds have it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by