Silkie experts...what am I??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by txajackson, Aug 15, 2011.

1. txajackson

txajackson Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    UPDATE!!!!!! I have 3 silkie babies. They are 12-14 weeks old. I have read about streamers on male silkies. I believe I see streamers on 2 of the 3 silkies. Also the little buff/red one is smaller then the other two. What do you think??? I am a newbie, thanks for your advice. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The white one crowed this morning!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    tough call, I have one also, been trying to get it sexed, now at 19 weeks, I think I do, a roo...

[​IMG]

there is a person here on BYC, cjexotic, (they may answer you anyhow), send them a PM and see if they can help, they have 150 silkies...

I am waiting for an egg or crow...slow wait!
    You have gorgeous silkies BTW

3. txajackson

May 31, 2011
    Thanks! Yours is beautiful too! They are so much fun! The problem is that my grown hens dont like them very much. So I would like to get another female is these two end up being roos. It is tough to wait! [​IMG]

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    They both look like boys to me. [​IMG]

I have noticed a difference in behavior by the time they reach the age of yours. The males act more alert and have a more upright stance than the girls.

5. txajackson

May 31, 2011
    Yes, the two in question are more aggressive towards eachother. They chest bump and kind of do that stare down thing where they get low and look at eachother. The white one seems to be the dominant one. The little red/buff one will just stand in the corner while the other two "duel."

6. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    The hens do a chest bump too! [​IMG]
    txajackson- I think you have 2 girls and one boy, the white being a boy
    JodyJo- I think yours is a boy too

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It's still a little young to be 100% sure but I think the splash and white are cockerels and possibly a pullet on the buff. JodyJo your baby looks like a boy to me.

8. txajackson

May 31, 2011
    Thanks for your advice. I'll keep waiting. I dont want them to be roos...im hoping for at least 2 pullets! [​IMG]

9. txajackson

May 31, 2011
    Update!! The white one crowed this morning!! It was so cute. Very tiny crow compared to full size roos. But Im disappointed because I cant keep roosters. Im waiting on the splash one to crow, I have a feeling she may be a he!! [​IMG]

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:Yes I think so too...no crowing, not picked on, raised with all the others...not sure I want to keep him though, I already have 3 roos, need to re home one of them already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by