Silkie Experts

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, May 23, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    If I take pics of my 4 week old silkies can you tell me if they are boys or girls? It will take me a long time(hours) to get them posted so I dont want to unless it is possible to tell. thanks

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm most certainly not a Silkie expert (or any chicken expert for that matter) but I've heard many times that you cannot tell that young whether a Silkie is male or female.

I know someone here will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

3. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    It is very hard to tell if silkie babies are roos/hens until they are older, however, I have heard that the silkie roo tend to have there fur sorta slicked back, whereas the hens have their hair sorta wild (like an afro I guess). Dont' know how true this is but I am raising silkies now and it seems to be true. [​IMG] So look at the fur on the there heads where the comb should be.

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    no expert but, I have had a few & you can't tell till they lay an egg or crows!

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I agree with the other peeps. I have some silkies in the bator, and know I am in for it when trying to decide which are hens or roos!

6. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    CNL is right about the feathers on the head and your usually cant tell if its a roo or a hen until they're older and it easier for me to tell if they're non-bearded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by