1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie experts

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cream puff, Oct 30, 2014.

1. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Hello Silkie experts,

I had posted this in a different section and got no responce, since this might be a breed standard thing I thought I'd try here.
    I need to know what it means when my silkie, whose face was originally blue, is turning red. When I was buying a silkie at a poultry swap a breeder told me when I'm choosing a silkie to make sure their faces are blue "look for any redness" she said, but we didn't have time for me to ask her why. So can anyone tell me? I just want to rule out sickness.

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Can you post a pic of the bird in question?
    I doubt she was referring to illness, more like males.

3. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Silkies should have blue/black skin and flesh all over including the face. Some males in particular have a tendency to develop red in their faces. This is unacceptable for showing purposes and should also be avoided as a breeding choice. Health has nothing to do with it.

4. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    One of my silkies is clearly male and has the red in his face. The silkie that I am concerned about is definately female. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by