Silkie Eye Infection???

LavyOrps

Chirping
May 23, 2021
This started possibly about two weeks ago. this eye is swollen and goopy, the other is just fine. I have tried Veterycin, and terramycin and neither seem to do much. The Veterycin is helping me get the eye open to clean out some of the gunk.

We had just recently moved her i to a new pin with the same pinmates. Unfortunately the silkies have had a hard time getting into their new coop, so they have been sleeping under it. They still had cover, but not as much as I would like. This infection came after a rain, so I had thought she may have gotten some dirt in it or something. While we are working on a new (more banty accessible) coop, she has been brought inside, and quarantined from the rest.

She is 6-8 months. Maybe 2-3lbs.

I am not sure what to try next. All help is very much appreciated.
9AACEC16-AF65-4F16-8AF7-1A049D086594.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you flushing the eye every day with saline eye wash? Every. Single. Day.

And are you using the Terramycin in the eye twice a day? Two times a day is the recommended treatment.

Nothing wrong with the Vetericyn eye treatment, but perhaps in between Terramycin applications. Vetericyn is mostly to make the eye more comfortable. The Terramycin is the med to treat the eye infection.

The only other thing I can think of to try is vitamin A. It's supposed to be good for eye issues.

Are you flushing the eye every day with saline eye wash? Every. Single. Day.

And are you using the Terramycin in the eye twice a day? Two times a day is the recommended treatment.

Nothing wrong with the Vetericyn eye treatment, but perhaps in between Terramycin applications. Vetericyn is mostly to make the eye more comfortable. The Terramycin is the med to treat the eye infection.

The only other thing I can think of to try is vitamin A. It's supposed to be good for eye issues.

I just started saline rinses 2 days ago. Which has been helpful getting the medicine in. I will continue doing what we are doing then and making sure to get it in twice a day. We have been giving her nutridrench which has vitamin A in it…. So I will keep doing that too. Thank you for your comment!

Are you able to press any pus out of the eye or get it open enough to see if she's got something stuck in it?
It may be infection due to respiratory illness, but some folks have also pressed out pus and found a small amount of debris like a seed, piece of food, etc. that had gotten in the eye and festered.
Pus has to be physically removed, it will not dry up on it's own.
You don't see anything inside her beak like gunky yellow or white material?

This shows how to press out pus

Are you able to press any pus out of the eye or get it open enough to see if she's got something stuck in it?
It may be infection due to respiratory illness, but some folks have also pressed out pus and found a small amount of debris like a seed, piece of food, etc. that had gotten in the eye and festered.

I don’t have any other symptoms, but what is going on with her eye. I had also thought possibly some sort of respiratory illness, but since she doesn’t seem to have anything else going on, i ruled it out. I have been able to get some pus out, but I will try to press it out as well and see what happens. Thank you so much!

Though after watching some videos, I am not 100% sure there is this level of pus. I can still see her little eye ball through the wetness.

Right, that's just an example of pressing pus out. You don't want it to get to that level.
The bird in the video likely has Infectious Coryza, possibly MG, but removing pus is generally the same whether a small amount or not.

Right, that's just an example of pressing pus out. You don't want it to get to that level.
The bird in the video likely has Infectious Coryza, possibly MG, but removing pus is generally the same whether a small amount or not.
Ohh okay. I get it now. I will try it still then and see what we get. Thank you! 😀😀😀

Back
Top Bottom