Silkie face swollen and nostril obstruction. PICS. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by muscovy94, Jan 23, 2011.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone there is something wrong with my FAVORITE silkie hen. Her face is very swollen and there is something very wrong with one of her nostrils. CAN someone please help?? Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It looks like she has discharge from her eye in the picture. Any from the beak?
    If so, it could be a respiratory illness.
    I can't really see the last 2 pics very well.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing that is quite a large obstruction. I hope someone with some experience can help you out soon before the post gets pushed down too far.

4. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    You can try to remove the obstruction if you have someone to help you by holding her Perhaps a pair of tweezers or something blunt and flat to dig it out. I hope someone with more knowledge can help you.

5. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've have to clean out my girls nostril before. She was pretty good about sitting still. I got a glass of warm water and some q-tips to wet it down a little and soften it up. And then used some tweezers and *very gently* a safety pin also. I kind of just stabbed the thing with the pin after loosening it with water and most of it came out, and then I got the rest out with the tweezers.

Good luck.

And I'm not too sure about the eye though [​IMG]

6. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Oops, Double Post [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    hay just put some solt water on the eyes and it should be good within a week [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    i think i may be wrong but doesnt corzya look like that is this bird quarentined ?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  9. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Yep, sure looks like Corzya. Which means, in all likelihood, you're going to have to cull that bird and keep a very good idea on your flock to make sure no one else has it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by