Silkie Feet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FlyingLilly, Jul 12, 2011.

1. FlyingLilly

FlyingLilly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    northern mn
    I have Black Silkie pullets that have white on there toes. Is this a DQ in the show ring or undesirable? I was hoping to show them in 4-h also in buffs is it ok to have Blue feet?

Thanks

2. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can find the Bantam standard book or check the American Silkie Bantam Club site. I think black silkies with white spots on feet maybe a DQ. Though a judge may not always see the DQ unless very prominent. But Buffs with blue feet is just fine, silkies should have black skin but some buffs do have dark blue skin rather than black. Buffs are just not as well bred and advanced yet as the Blacks & whites.

Quote:

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    The Standard calls for "leaden" blue feet and toes on blacks and whites, and "slaty" blue on buffs.

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    since you have a standard, can you tell me what colors are the showable colors. I know about AOV.

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I know some of them, they are black, white, self blue (also known as lavender), partridge and splash. Not sure on the other colors.

6. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I know some of them, they are black, white, self blue (also known as lavender), partridge and splash. Not sure on the other colors.

blue, buff, and gray

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop

blue, buff, and gray

I can't believe I forgot those colors [​IMG]

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina

I don't see self blue or lavender listed in the 2010 edition of the standard.

9. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:I know some of them, they are black, white, self blue (also known as lavender), partridge and splash. Not sur e on the other colors.

I don't see self blue or lavender listed in the 2010 edition of the standard.

Blue is a recognized color and Lavender (self blue) was approved probably after the book went to print.

10. FlyingLilly

FlyingLilly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    northern mn
    I think someone said it could be a split blue showing the recessive for paint Silkes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by