Silkie female ... Crowing? Is she a he?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ellebelle, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ellebelle

ellebelle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    This evening as the sun was going down, I heard an awful loud noise from the coop. I ran down stairs to see one of my white silkie bantams kind of .... Half crowing. It didn't sound like a cockadoodledoo, more like one loud, "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.". All one tone and very loud.

Here is a photo of the bird in question :

[​IMG]
    kungpao-a by Lissa**, on Flickr

It is not a show quality bird and I think I read that pullet do grow combs and wattles sometimes and I didn't think this birds were excessively large? It is about 22 weeks old and this is the first time I've heard this. Could it be the egg song? The larger chickens (barred rock, Wyandotte, EE) have all started laying this past week.

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    yup that is a roo

3. xcsports

xcsports Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    :lol:look at that face:lol:

4. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:X2

5. ellebelle

Mar 3, 2010
    Crap, those are illegal in the city. Hopefully he'll be quiet until I find a place for him. [​IMG].

Will he crow every day now?

6. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:most likely my silkie is my loudest crower even louder than my standard cochins. Good luck

7. ellebelle

Mar 3, 2010
    Out of curiosity, I'm 99.9% sure that the other silkie is a female based on the photos and the differences between the two. But just so I have no more surprises, this one = a girl, yes?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  8. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I think the that one is a pullet yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by