1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie fertility issue

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pbjmaker, May 2, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have some silkies that are around 25 weeks old and started laying about a month ago. I have been randomly testing their eggs for fertility and so far - zippo. They are definately being mated by my showgirl roo and his fertility has been "proven" with my other hens.

Is it just their poofy butts that are getting in the way? Or could it be that they are young layers?

I was surprised they had already started laying since I heard that silkies were late bloomers.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Check this thread on vent trimming. Orpingtons, cochins, and silkies are the ones I hear most mentioned for this procedure.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=153319

I don't know if this is the problem but maybe you could try it and check. Just cause he is trying doesn't mean he is hitting the target.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by