Silkie flapping help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chaosarcee, Oct 9, 2013.

1. chaosarcee

chaosarcee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    I recently bought a pair of silkie chickens. They are about 4 months and one is white an one is partridge. For a few days now the white one will not let me hold it, it keeps flapping and kicking. If it gets a hold of my hand it perches on my arm and doesn't want to get of. It also seems to keep its head and neck low to te ground and doesn't stand up very tall which makes it hard to hold (I slide my hand under and use my pinkie and thumb to hold the legs) it also doesn't walk around very much but other than that it seems healthy, what should I do?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    First of all, [​IMG]

A lot of chickens don't like to be held, preferring to perch on your arm instead (I have several bantams who are like that). Once on your arm, they usually don't want to be removed, especially if they aren't very good at balancing--they don't feel secure enough to be grabbed or shoved off. Basically the only thing you can do is handle both birds daily, and hope that they get used to being held, etc. Grasp their legs tightly; not so hard as to crunch their bones, but not so soft as to let them easily pull their legs out of your grasp.

I would also examine your Silkies for any problems with their legs, just to be sure that their lack of moving around isn't because of pain, etc. Feel around for breaks, look for swelling, and see if the scales are raised (an indicator of scaly leg mites). I'd make sure to check the bottoms of the feet for swelling and/or a black scab (signs of bumblefoot), too. The low to the ground walking is probably just their natural behavior.

3. chaosarcee

Oct 9, 2013
    Ok thank you. That makes me feel
    a lot better!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I agree with Liz, does your silkie have a twisted neck, or keep her head down by her feet when she is on the ground? Does she eat well and drink? Is she active through the day like other chickens?

If she has a large crest(pouf on head) and beard she may be experiencing sight problems because of it. That would make her cautious of falling. You can carefully trim back the pouf and beard so she can see clearly. The feathers will eventually grow back. This could make a big difference for the better,

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! You got some good advice here. Best of luck!

9. chaosarcee

Oct 9, 2013
    I just plucked her feathers around her eyes. Now she is better :)

10. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! Our chickens aren't used to being held, and I'm not sure I want one perched on my wrist or arm. But they're fine with me getting close to them when I feed them, and some of them follow me around the yard just to see what I'm doing. We all seem to be fine with that arrangement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by