Silkie foamy white eye Update ***SICK GLWyandotte Today PLEASE HELP!!

aaggjg

Songster
Sep 29, 2011
This morning my 4 month old Silkie has white foam coming from left eye. I am a new chicken owner and I have read through various posts about what this can be but I am still looking for some guidance. I have separated him from the my other 4 girls and they all seem to be fine... so far. I live in the city so I am trying to figure out where I can get the various recommended treatments.

I have attached a photo of the eye ....

108036_tiny_eye_.jpg

Hoping you can help!! Thanks in advance to all of you sage chicken keepers!

Last edited:
Quote:
i had that 2 forgot what it was called but its pretty suroius i couldn't kill the chicken so i put it in my back woods any time i see major sickness i get rid of them cause some u can tret but they are still carriers of the infection but I'm not an expert hopefully someone else can help cause I'm kind intrested what mine had

Tiny is basically the same. I clean his eye and apply Terramycin a few times a day. I've given him some vitamins, garlic, vetRx, colloidal silver etc etc. I am willing to try anything as I can't seem to find tylan in Los Angeles! Does anybody know where I can buy it locally? I ordered some online but it is going to take a few days. I did find one feed store that had a few powder antibiotics but I had no idea if any of those would work. Is there one that I can use until my tylan arrives? Or will my chicken be okay waiting?

Thanks

You can use the Duramycin(tetracycline) until the Tylan gets there. It comes in a powder in pouch as you described. You mix a teaspoon and 1/4 in a gallon of water. It will clump on you so I mix it in small container using a little warm water not hot. Stir it really well and finish fill up to a gallon of water.

Thank you! Tiny now has watery poops..... and when I went down to feed the chickens this morning and my Golden Laced Wyandotte is TOTALLY SICK ... weezing and just sitting there with her beak open trying to breath... I checked them all yesterday after taking a hot shower and changing all my clothes. Will the duramycin help her??? I am so upset and don't know what to do.. I live in Los Angeles and it is not exactly a great place to get stuff for chickens.

I am trying to figure out what caused this illness and I had to take a rooster that was sold to me as a pullet back 2 weeks ago.... I thought I was VERY careful about not introducing germs from that farm to my flock but maybe I did??? I am just beside myself.... My other girls seem fine today but then so did this other bird yesterday.. Should I be treating the remaining 3 birds?? Please advise!!!

Quote:
Like i said u should of dispoed the one chicken as soon as u seen the sickness that's what i did and I've had no problems since i did it i know its hard to do it took me a couple of days to do it and i still couldn't kill it. I live in the country so i decided to take it to the back woods so then i know i atleast gave the chicken a chance.

Isolate any birds showing symptoms and begin the antibiotic treatment(water soluble antibiotics) for now until the Tylan arrives(Terramyacin, Tetracycline and Duramyacin will all work).
Please understand that if this is CRD or something like it, the birds can carry it all of their lives and it may resurface during times of stress. I would treat the whole flock(even the ones not showing symptoms).
NEVER release a sick bird into the woods or anywhere else, PLEASE! That's a quick way to spread disease to wild birds/waterfowl, etc. and in my opinion, cruel.
sad.png

I immediately isolated my sick chicken and took him to the sick ward. I was very careful to only go down to the coop after I showered, changed all of my clothes and shoes. So OBVIOUSLY my second sick chicken was already infected but just showed symptoms today. I even checked all of the birds listening for wheezing and looked at their eyes and beaks for any signs of mucus... there were none. I was actually asking for people who know how to treat the illness for advice. I was not looking for an I TOLD YOU SO.

Sager:)Silkies I have to agree with easttxchick that not only is it CRUEL to release a domesticated bird into the wild but also it is going to spread disease to all those birds.

Easttxchick thank you for the advice on what medicine to give my chickens until the tylan arrives. Luckily my cousin who is a vet is arriving tonight for the holidays!! So I will have her take a look at them. I cleaned the coop checked my other 3 girls who so far seems to be okay .... crossing fingers....

Thanks again for your help.

Quote:
Good deal! Get her, while she's there, to show you how to give a chicken a shot-that way you'll be ready for when you're Tylan arrives.
Good luck to you and your birds!

Back
Top Bottom