1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie folks: 6 toes = inbreeding? (pic now)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken-owner-31, Dec 3, 2010.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I am a complete newbie to chickens and am learning. I got 10 silkie chicks from a hatchery ( [​IMG] ) and one of them has 6 toes. His/her foot also doesn't seem to bend in all the normal places. It still gets around just fine. Would this be a result of inbreeding, possibly? I am going to try and get some pics of it to put on here. I'm thinking I should probably cull it, but it is really sweet. I'm hoping to re-home it instead when it gets big enough, why do the sweetest ones have to have issues? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

6 toes in silkies will pop up from time to time, along with 4 toes, and single combs. Doesn't mean they are inbred.

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Any pics?

4. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Just went and got some pics. [​IMG]

It has 6 on both feet. Just thought it was odd. Other than that, and looking like it can't quite put one foot down all the way, it looks exactly like all the others. He/She is about 2.5 weeks old. I noticed it around day 2 or 3 of having them.

[​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Why are you going to cull it? It is typical hatchery stock. Hatchery stock will not produce show quality birds. If it is sweet and gets around fine, why not keep it? [​IMG]

6. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I was planning on keeping a roo or two and letting them raise some chicks when the time is right. But I didn't want to leave one to breed if I know there is a problem genetically with them. I"m not aiming for show birds, but I want to produce nice pet quality birds, as silkies and pretty little bantams are in high demand around here. So I was thinking I would have to cull it if the 6 toe thing was an indicator of inbreeding. If it isn't, then I have no problem keeping the little buggar! It is one of our favorites!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by