Silkie folks, please critique this roo

Solsken Farm

Songster
12 Years
I am not a silkie person, I bought some eggs last year for my kids. The eggs were lost in shipping and we ended up with one lonely silkie out of 22 eggs. We thought Solo was a girl,

cbms032.jpg

roosters030.jpg

until this....

winter09162.jpg

winter09171.jpg

Can you critique this fellow for me? I think he is just stunning, of course I do not have a trained eye. I do prefer smaller poofs on top, so I can see their eyes, blue ears, etc. I also love splashes. He has a home to go to. But part of me is tempted to find a mate for him and just keep a few around for the kids. Any help would be much appreciated.

He isn't SQ, but his colouring is good and he appears to have nice foot feathering. His crest and beard should be fuller.

I say get a nice blue or splash hen to go with him and raise some chicks. Unless you are not allowed roosters where you live, keep him.

Glad you are keeping and you have the right idea in mind. I say Solo needs 3-4 hens. Anyway, make sure they have soft feathers, 5 toes with good seperation, and good foot feathering. If you go with hatching eggs...I have seen some beautiful blues and splashes on this site.

Have fun and remember me when it is time to sell hatching eggs.
hu.gif

Quote:
It really depends on what your goal is. If you simply want to produce more pet Silkies then by all means go ahead & breed this bird.
However, since you asked for a critique I assume you may be interested in better quality Silkies. If this is the case then the adage "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear" applies. He's simply not a verty good Silkie from a breed standard perspective.

Quote:
It really depends on what your goal is. If you simply want to produce more pet Silkies then by all means go ahead & breed this bird.
However, since you asked for a critique I assume you may be interested in better quality Silkies. If this is the case then the adage "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear" applies. He's simply not a verty good Silkie from a breed standard perspective.

Thank you. Tell me more. I honestly do want to know why or why not. I will never show silkies, but I do like to know what I have. I am an open book and have nothing invested in him, other than love and about $50. LOL He came from a breeder that I think sells some show quality, but I realize it is a numbers game and not all will be that or even near that in a hatch.

I am just beginning in silkies so take it for what it is. There are some tail feathers that are hard. He has a bit of a wattle there and his head feathers could be bigger. I think his body is pretty nice. He has nice blue earlobes. I cant see his comb, but it doesnt look too bad from what I can see.I still think he is cute!

Last edited:
(I have limited experience, and still learning, but I will add my opinion anyhow)
If you are just starting your breeding program and can't afford better stock, this guy would be good. His Crest is small for todays standards, I think the color on this wattles and comb a little too red for my tastes and the wattles are a bit large and beard sort of small. I like his full legs and tail. There are some "hard" feathers (ones that are less fuzzy) but that is not a DQ. I don't know about the color, it doesn't strike me quite right, I can't say what throws me off.

I have seen people breeding and showing birds in a lot worse shape than this guy. How is he in size? Someone pointed out to me that as gorgeous George Mihalik's birds are, they are getting sort of big, and aren't these still only in a bantam class? Don't get me wrong, I still want a Mihalik splash pullet/hen!

Back
Top Bottom