Silkie foot Feathering

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Julie in Al, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    I love this pic of one of my white silkies. She looks like she has shoes on. Thought some of you silkie lovers would enjoy this[​IMG]

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Wow, such beautiful birds! Silkies are by far my favorites. Do you have buffs? Do you sell eggs? [​IMG]

Lisa

3. Julie in Al

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Yes, I sell eggs when the weather is cooler. I do have buffs but lost my gorgeous Roo and am waiting for some younger ones to mature. It will be Spring before I have any buff eggs for sale. I do know a breeder with SQ buffs that sells eggs and chicks. I am getting 10 new chicks from her when the weather cools and they can be shipped. That will give me three lines for breeding. Here is a picture of some of my buffs[​IMG]

4. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    They are beautiful. They say it is hard to find buffs that do not have smut. Do you find this is the case? Do the judges really count off a lot for that? I have a nice little buff cockerel, and I am thinking about getting rid of him because he has some smut. He is about 10 weeks old now, so I really do not know what he will turn out to be.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Julie in Al

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    He is very pretty. You need to let him fill out some more. He won't reach his full potential till he is about 6 to seven months. He doesnt have much Black. You can breed that out in a few generations if he has other qualities that are good. There is an article by Nikki Stetson of HatTicksilkies that has helped me a lot I can post it for you if you are interested. It is on another silkie breeders site and has pictures and details of breeding buff to clear.
    Here is a little pullet that is first generation for me. She is about 4 months here. My Roo was making better cockerals than pullets.[​IMG]
    Some in a silkie run[​IMG]

6. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    WOW you both have some gorgeous birds. Can't wait for my baby buff silkie to grow up WOOT cant wait cant wait cant wait darn you cookinmom and your magical unicorns!

Bubba

7. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks Julie, I would be very interested in that info.

8. Julie in Al

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
  9. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I want silkies and polish so bad!!! they are such awesome looking birds but then I think I would have to build another coop!!! Don't have the energy for that just yet, maybe in spring!!! yes, I'm addicted....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by