Silkie for house pet?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 8ponygirl9, Jan 23, 2018.

1. 8ponygirl9

8ponygirl9 Chirping

Jan 23, 2018
    Hi there,

I'm looking for opinions on keeping a silkie as a house pet? I have other animals this little baby will be around but I'm worried about smell and if the chick will truly be happy in the house? I do have a yard and she'll have access to it but mostly will be with me in the house.

2. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    @drumstick diva has a friend who kept silkies as house pets so she should have some tips for you.

3. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information and loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers :welcome:bun:highfive::goodpost::thumbsup:clap:wee:woot:jumpy

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

5. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict

I think house chickens need diapers or something along those lines. It isn't my thing but were I to keep silkies and bond with them it most definately would be a house pet.

Best of luck there are more knowledgeable folks who do exactly as you propose around. Silkies would never survive in my corner of the woods unless maintained as house chicken.

6. 8ponygirl9

8ponygirl9 Chirping

Jan 23, 2018
    I have two ducks that come in the house from time to time and they both have diapers lol so I'll be contacting my lady for another yet smaller pair! :)

7. AllenK RGV

I would actually love maintaining house chicken. Or house ducks, just I have dogs and cats who might not want to share. I am a little bit jealous you will have an experience in life I never will.

8. 8ponygirl9

8ponygirl9 Chirping

Jan 23, 2018
    I have two blue heelers and two cats and they share with my ducks.... The ducks kinda run the house when they are inside tho it's rather funny but I'm hoping my baby silkie will just be happy! I'm not exactly aloud to have chickens in my neighborhood but a house silkie shouldn't be too hard to keep from the neighbors?

AllenK@new2this likes this.
  9. AllenK RGV

drumstick diva likes this.
  10. AllenK RGV

I seriously think when I watch netflix the neighbors have to watch it too with these speakers.

drumstick diva likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: