1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie found unresponsive this morning. Bird flu? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Navi723, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Navi723

Navi723 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    This morning I went out to tend my two silkies and found one of them lying on the ground in their coop, with no signs of injury at all. She looks dead, but occasionally her foot or head will jerk. Maybe comatose? She feels cool to the touch and has a slight odor, not bad, but sort of like decay. I can't find the source of the smell.

She was fine, completely normal yesterday. I had noticed in the past week or so that she was acting a little odd, like she couldn't see well, but I checked her out, and she appeared to have nothing wrong with her.

It's obvious that there's nothing that I can do for her, but now I'm worried about her coop mate and my other flock of laying hens (they don't mingle). Does this sound like bird flu or some other sickness? I'm just flabbergasted!

Thanks for your help.
    Kim

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could be something like 30 different things.
    The thing you can do for her is to separate her from the flock and warm, about 80F.

Another thing you can do is send her to the OK poultry lab for necropsy to see if you need to be concerned for your other birds. That would be your best bet.
    Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
    Oklahoma State Univ.,College of Vet. Med.
    Farm & Ridge Road
    Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078
    Phone: 405-744-6623 Fax 405-744-8612

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  3. Navi723

Navi723 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    Thank you. That's probably the only way I'll have peace of mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by