silkie, frizzles mix?

sis

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
PA
13215_january_5th_chickens_010.jpg

I had silkies hatch and frizzles and two that don't look like the others. this one has smooth feathers, feathered feet and 4 toes
anyone have a guess?

Quote:
Leghorns don't have feathered feet. What kind of frizzles were the parents? This chick almost looks like a cochin, so could the parents be frizzle cochins? Which would be they are heterozygous for whatever the frizzle gene is resulting in some of the offspring to not have the frizzle gene. I know nothing about how the frizzle gene works, but those are basic genetics.

That bird does not have silkie in it at all. If the pen had only silkies and cochins in it, I'd say it's a pure cochin. The coloring resembles that of a salmon faverolle female, I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out.

I think I am beginning to understand, thank you.
You can get smooth feathered chickens from frizzle parents. Amazing!
I had no idea. I also had a black smooth feathered one in the same hatch, I think its a pullet too.
Are these smooth feathered ones called cochins?
Are all silkies and frizzles bantams?
Today I let the 3 frizzles out to play on the kitchen floor, and 3 have had combs, 2 have wattles and one does not, the smallest one does not, I am thinking now that its a pullet too! this is exciting, as I thought I had 3 roos. Also in this hatch, is a black silkie, 3 white silkies, and a grey silkie.
The black silkie is very small, one of the white silkies is taller then the others.

"Frizzle" is not an actual breed, it's a feathering trait. The frizzle chickens that I've seen in hatchery catalogs are Cochins, but any chicken can be bred to be a frizzle. I've seen a lot of pictures of Frizzled Polish chickens.

Your little pullet is beautiful.
smile.png

You should not breed frizzle x frizzle. You'll get approx. 25% smooth, 50% frizzled, 25% curly. The feathers of a curly are twisted and brittle and offer no protection from the elements, and thus require much more care than an average chicken. They cannot tolerate heat or cold, and the feathers do not repel water, so they can't be out in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom