1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie gender? 13 weeks and three days

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilkieTime, Nov 10, 2009.

1. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    The light one I am sure is a girl. The dark one I'm thinking girl most of the time today I'm not sure. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They should both lay lots of eggs for you wehn they are old enough, and not broodying.

3. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    I think they are pullets, are their tails nice and rounded?

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Roosters can have rounded tails too. It's more desirable than hard feathers. But I do agree that they are pullets.

5. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Look like little pullets to me. Can't see any streamers like I am seeing in 6 of mine.. Yuck 5 cockerals.
    So would they be considered a light and dark partridge? I have read on here that there is light and dark in the partridge and grey.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    What can you tell from a Silkie comb? If it has a raised comb at 6 weeks, isn't it more than likely a roo? I'm trying to figure mine out, and I see many posts like this where folks are trying to tell by shape and feather shape, but is the size of the comb a giveaway at any given time?

7. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    From my limited silkie experience, the comb IS the best indicator.... The males' get bumpy and start to redden....but the females' stay dark and don't develop.

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    both girls I think

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:On a good quality silkie the combs should never redden. With some colours that is often more of an unrealized goal all too often, however.

No silkie comb should get bumpy. It depends on the rose comb modifier genes, and has no bearing on male versus female. Silkie comb size can be a gender indicator, but that is strictly based upon size, and since many silkie males are bred for very small combs, that is often not a reliable indicator. FWIW, I have had a couple of hens with largish combs, comparable in size to a small comb on a male. That does not mean that comb is completely negligible, but that it is only one of several indicators of gender.

Streamers are usually the best gender indicator, although build & carriage of body and tail also carry weight.

10. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:On a good quality silkie the combs should never redden. With some colours that is often more of an unrealized goal all too often, however.

No silkie comb should get bumpy. It depends on the rose comb modifier genes, and has no bearing on male versus female. Silkie comb size can be a gender indicator, but that is strictly based upon size, and since many silkie males are bred for very small combs, that is often not a reliable indicator. FWIW, I have had a couple of hens with largish combs, comparable in size to a small comb on a male. That does not mean that comb is completely negligible, but that it is only one of several indicators of gender.

Streamers are usually the best gender indicator, although build & carriage of body and tail also carry weight.

What she said [​IMG] I have a 6 month old IT right now. I really think it may end up being a hen feathered roo! I had HER entered in a show and by the time the NPIP tester came and asked my to verify the sex...well I am thinking more boy [​IMG] He/she has the puff ball head but....something isn't quite right...again [​IMG] I didn't take IT to the show for fear that my pullet would CROW. I am now waiting on either a crow or an egg.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by