SILKIE GENDER DETERMINING HELP! High quality pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunnysongbird, Aug 9, 2011.

1. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I need help determining the gender of two, 4 month old silkie chickens. The white chicken (Sunny) and the brown chicken (Hawk). I have a guess as to what they are; Sunny a rooster and Hawk a pullet, but need some confirmation. Also I have three silkies but I don't need to know the gender of the one with the big red gobble because I already know he is a rooster because he has crowed. But I need help knowing the gender of the brown one and the white one. Also, if Sunny is a rooster, do two silkie roosters get along well? Thanks! Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    i think your right on sexs, i had some that get along and others that dont

3. sunnysongbird

Jul 20, 2011
    ok that's good to know [​IMG]
    I really hope the white one (Sunny) is a hen however! Is there any chance that she isn't a roo?

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:I really seriously doubt that Sunny is a hen with a comb and wattle set like that. I'm shocked there hasn't been any crowing from Sunny. But you never know...

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Sunny is a roo. I can usually tell by the crests - roos have a slicked back, Elvis-type crests and "streamers" which are thin little feathers trailing from the back. Hens have rounder, more even crests and no streamers.

ETA: Hawk looks like a pullet.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  6. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Sunny is a roo and Hawk is a pullet, they're so cute! [​IMG] I haven't ever had more than one Silkie at a time, so I don't know if 2 roos would get along or not. I have 2 game roosters that get along great, so I would imagine that to silkie roos, being a much gentler breed, would get along fine as well. Good luck [​IMG]

7. sunnysongbird

Jul 20, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Thankfully sunny started crowing a few days ago and I can't wait until Hawk starts to lay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by