1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie gender guesses - 10 weeks - pic heavy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, Nov 7, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Have been rehoming roos now for a few weeks and have interest in my silkies, but at 10 weeks I still can't tell which are roosters! [​IMG] All of them still have non existent combs or wattles. Any guesses? There's one I'm fairly positive is a roo just on his stance and attitude, but the rest just act like little squeak toys. [​IMG] I know it's too early for silkies, any guesses anyways?

Silkie #1 (Splash) I am fairly positive is a rooster. He stands like a roo and acts very manly man for a silkie. He's also the biggest (forgive the messy table, that's a table that was sitting outside that they were all roosting on yesterday.. Easy to hose off so it works well!): Tried to get a comb pic but he wasn't having it. Just a small black bump.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silkie #2 (Splash) - no idea. Acts like a pullet, smaller than #1, no comb to speak of yet:
    [​IMG]

Silkie #3 (white) - posted this one before, everyone thought this one was a pullet. Still looks pullety? She's the most timid out of the batch:
    [​IMG]

Silkie #4 - showgirl. Has straight comb for some reason and the comb is black. Acts kinda rooish, so I am guessing roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Three black silkies - hard to tell these apart. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll update when I can finally figure it out and also if I can get better pics. Tried putting them all outside yesterday and they all acted freezing! (it was about 50, which is well in range for 10 weeks old.. but I'm trying to acclimate slowly). [​IMG]

2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you take photos of their combs? You'd have to move the fuzz aside.

I'm new to silkies, but when my first "batch" was 4 weeks old, the male developed a raised comb, but the females still have flat combs. (I had feather sexed them the first week, so I already had guesses).

Nice looking birds!

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'll try to get better comb pics when I am cleaning the barn today. I know the big splash has a little black bump and the showgirl has a straight comb. Not sure if the others have anything at all - will check again while they are pecking my shoes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by