Silkie gender guesses please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erinnoie, Aug 14, 2013.

1. erinnoie

erinnoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Cudahy, WI
    I know they're young yet, but if anyone has any educated guesses, I'd love to hear if these two looks like boys or girls. Thanks!

Batman
    (sister thought 'bantam' said batman hehe!) This one is TINY.
    5ish weeks
    [​IMG]
    6ish weeks
    [​IMG]
    8ish weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SuperChick
    5 weeks
    [​IMG]
    6 weeks
    [​IMG]
    9 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    It is kinda early to tell but the white one looks like a girl.

3. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Can you get some side pictures of them standing? :) From the side? Kind of like the following pictures (my silkies).
    Maybe these pics can also help you in sexing yours as well, looking at other silkies helped me a lot.

Sunflower - Pullet - 10 weeks
    [​IMG]

Gracey - Unknown - 12-13 weeks (Most recently thinking he's a she, despite the tail..)
    [​IMG]

Willow - Cockerel - 12-13 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Albedo - cockerel - 12-13 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By 8 weeks, Albedo was crowing. Willow started crowing at 9-10 weeks but only after I separated him and Gracey from Albedo (usually only the top-rooster seems to crow, which is why separating worked for me.. some silkies do crow much later on though).

But the roosters stand much taller and are much more skittish. Their legs and feet are much thicker than Gracey and Sunflower's. Their faces look a bit different even- that is hard to explain and not always easy to.. see or describe.
    They're usually a lot more noisy and tend to hold their tails up. Their neck feathers and head feathers tend to swoop out and up as streamers (you can see the ones on Albedo's head and Willow's neck).

Superchick does not seem to have streamers. It's hard to tell with Bathman because of the tiny crest. So maybe I can give better educated guesses with more picture :) Ever since I got silkies, I've been doing insane research on sexing them. Silkies are so stressful- I hope you don't have the same luck I did- getting 3 boys (unless Gracey really is a girl) at once.

4. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    just want to say thank you both for these i just posted wanting week by week pics of silkie chick and yall nailed it thank you!! it helped alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by