1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie - gender? healthy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fowlty Towers, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Fowlty Towers

Fowlty Towers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Space Coast, FL
    Purchased this little 3-month old two days ago. It's much smaller and skinnier than a grey silkie I have of the same age. It's being quarantined--gave it some extra protein & yogurt yesterday, a bath this morning, and it seems livelier and eating/drinking better today. Looking at the following pix, does it look healthy enough to you? Are you able to tell the gender? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'm going with cockeral, but till to young to tell with certainty. At three months they are growing really fast, so they go through what we call the 'uglies'. They'll appear kinda skinny, gangly, and awkward, but keep feeding them properly and they'll fill out.

3. Fowlty Towers

Fowlty Towers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Space Coast, FL
    Thanks! It is doing much better today--and we were hoping for a little girl [​IMG] Any others with an opinion on the gender?

4. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    just a guess~~but it's looking like a cockerel to me

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Its a boy, sorry. [​IMG] Oh, and it looks perfectly healthy to me, still quarantine though.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Wow, I have no idea. So I'm going to take a guess today. HEN! [​IMG]

7. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    a little boy

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Being 3 months maybe a bit early to make the call: boy.
    However, this also could be a girl that just has not had the time to develope the nice rounded female shape crest.
    The chick does look healthy as the picture shows clear eyes, clear nostrils, healthy looking skin, and perky. Hope all goes well in quarinteen for you and that I am wrong and you have a girl. [​IMG]

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Although my first impression was boy, the more I look, the more I think it's a girl. Usually by 3 months a boy is getting a decent little comb and I don't see that on this juvenile.

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Not necessarily true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by