1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Gender Help!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PoultryQueen29, Nov 28, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I picked up this black silkie chick yesterday. She is almost 2 months old. I'm praying she is a pullet because I cant have crowing where I live. I actually got her because I thought she looked the most like a pullet. She doesnt really have any comb development and her crest and tail are soft and poofy. Excuse the bad pictures. She wouldnt stop moving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a pullet. try posting pics agan when shes 4-5 months old to

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yay [​IMG] I will post pics again when she is older

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She looks like a pullet [​IMG] You did well! Doesn't mean she is 100% a girl yet though [​IMG] Silkies can trick you!

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I think it looks like a rooster.

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:What led you to thinking that? I'm not very experienced at sexing silkies because I have only had 3 (they all ended up being pullets) so I want to know what to look for.

7. aoxa

The only reason I would lean more towards roo is because of the tall legs. That doesn't mean it is a boy though. I don't see any streamers/large comb development.

8. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I know they can! The blue pullet I used to have tricked me into thinking she was a rooster! She had a tiny swept back crest and rough, pointy hackles, and a rooster attitude. She was always chasing the others and nipping bacause she was the dominant hen (which I later figured out). Everything pointed to rooster and even the people at the hatchery thought she was a rooster when I went to give her back. A month or two later I went back to get pullet chicks of a different breed and the guy said she ended up being a pullet. Here is a pic of her.

[​IMG]

9. aoxa

Thought I'd give you some references from images of my blue silkie at 8 weeks old. She is a pullet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    all the above are of Lorraine @ 2 months old.

[​IMG]
    She is 5 months old here.

[​IMG]
    Rooster - You can see the streamers, long hackle feathers that look like a mullet. These feathers are very coarse compared to a pullet.

See how much broader his chest is. How much higher he is off the ground? These are all signs of a silkie rooster.

I think you are safe. I'm 95% sure you have yourself a pullet!

10. aoxa

Quote:I know they can! The blue pullet I used to have tricked me into thinking she was a rooster! She had a tiny swept back crest and rough, pointy hackles, and a rooster attitude. She was always chasing the others and nipping bacause she was the dominant hen (which I later figured out). Everything pointed to rooster and even the people at the hatchery thought she was a rooster when I went to give her back. A month or two later I went back to get pullet chicks of a different breed and the guy said she ended up being a pullet. Here is a pic of her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/107741_img_0029-1.jpg

[​IMG] I would have guessed pullet on this one here. She has such a girly face! The hatchery silkies do not do the breed justice. Their top knots are so small!

What did you name your new girl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by