Silkie Gender Help!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PoultryQueen29, Nov 28, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I picked up this black silkie chick yesterday. She is almost 2 months old. I'm praying she is a pullet because I cant have crowing where I live. I actually got her because I thought she looked the most like a pullet. She doesnt really have any comb development and her crest and tail are soft and poofy. Excuse the bad pictures. She wouldnt stop moving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a pullet. try posting pics agan when shes 4-5 months old to

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yay [​IMG] I will post pics again when she is older

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She looks like a pullet [​IMG] You did well! Doesn't mean she is 100% a girl yet though [​IMG] Silkies can trick you!

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I think it looks like a rooster.

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:What led you to thinking that? I'm not very experienced at sexing silkies because I have only had 3 (they all ended up being pullets) so I want to know what to look for.

7. aoxa

The only reason I would lean more towards roo is because of the tall legs. That doesn't mean it is a boy though. I don't see any streamers/large comb development.

8. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I know they can! The blue pullet I used to have tricked me into thinking she was a rooster! She had a tiny swept back crest and rough, pointy hackles, and a rooster attitude. She was always chasing the others and nipping bacause she was the dominant hen (which I later figured out). Everything pointed to rooster and even the people at the hatchery thought she was a rooster when I went to give her back. A month or two later I went back to get pullet chicks of a different breed and the guy said she ended up being a pullet. Here is a pic of her.

[​IMG]

9. aoxa

Thought I'd give you some references from images of my blue silkie at 8 weeks old. She is a pullet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    all the above are of Lorraine @ 2 months old.

[​IMG]
    She is 5 months old here.

[​IMG]
    Rooster - You can see the streamers, long hackle feathers that look like a mullet. These feathers are very coarse compared to a pullet.

See how much broader his chest is. How much higher he is off the ground? These are all signs of a silkie rooster.

I think you are safe. I'm 95% sure you have yourself a pullet!

10. aoxa

Quote:I know they can! The blue pullet I used to have tricked me into thinking she was a rooster! She had a tiny swept back crest and rough, pointy hackles, and a rooster attitude. She was always chasing the others and nipping bacause she was the dominant hen (which I later figured out). Everything pointed to rooster and even the people at the hatchery thought she was a rooster when I went to give her back. A month or two later I went back to get pullet chicks of a different breed and the guy said she ended up being a pullet. Here is a pic of her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/107741_img_0029-1.jpg

[​IMG] I would have guessed pullet on this one here. She has such a girly face! The hatchery silkies do not do the breed justice. Their top knots are so small!

What did you name your new girl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by