Silkie gender question....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ASweetHeart, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ASweetHeart

ASweetHeart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    I have (3) 5 1/2 week old red silkie chicks. One of the 3 hatched 2 days later than the other two (not sure which anymore).

I noticed over the past few days that the combs on two of the chicks are turning from black to pink. Is this an indication that they will be males?

Wasn't sure if both genders turn pink or not......or if the one without a color changing comb was just behind a few days....maybe it's the late hatcher?

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard they're tough to sex. They can have the same combs I think. But look at their "hats." The boys will stand straight up while the girls is more rounded. But I've also been told the only sure way to tell who is who is to wait and see who crows and who lays eggs :\\

3. ASweetHeart

ASweetHeart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Quote:Thanks!! That gives me some hope hope for hens!!

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks!! That gives me some hope hope for hens!!

LoL I'm in the same boat. Mine are about 2-3 months old and I'm barely noticing the sexes. I've heard 2 of them make rooish noises but I'm still waiting [​IMG] You have plenty of time.

5. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    ...it must be a big boat! My silkie chicks are about 7 weeks old and I'm not sure either but from what I read about the feathers on their heads are that I might have 2 males and 1 female... the feathers are kinda slicked back looking... although I am hoping for 3 hens, unless a silkie roo can mate with a RIR hen...

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Foo-Foo Silkies are really tough to sex till they are older, so just do what most do and call them pullets untill they crow. you never see a thread heading saying my rooster is a hen LOL, but about 40 GOzillion that say darn it my hen is a rooster LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by