silkie gender??? w/larger pic

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 6keets, Aug 3, 2007.

1. 6keets

6keets Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    NE Indiana
    It's about 16 wks in this pic. Taken last week. Is then anyway of telling I would like to get another one.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    From my understanding of what others have written it is virtually impossible to determine the gender of silkies. I can recall reading here in the forums where the only determination is either an egg or a crowing. Since I'm envious of the fact that you have some, I will just say congratulations and have fun with them. Someday I'll have some for sure. [​IMG]

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    At 17 weeks a cockerel should be crowing or at least trying to. My 15 week cockerel is pretty good at crowing and his waddles are showing and his comb is much bigger than the pullets. Cockerels tend to have a more laid back crest and the pullets have a rounder crest. The pix are too small to tell for sure but the top pix looks more like a laid back crest to me.

Gayle

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, bigger pix helps. If it has a very small comb and no waddles my guess is a pullet. [​IMG]

Gayle

5. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I have Silkies, and I would say that this is a pullet.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

NO FAIR!!! You get one silkie and get a PULLET!!!! I get 8 and only ONE pullet!!! Now I have gone through 11 and still only 1 PULLET!!![​IMG]

Congrats in getting a girl! [​IMG]

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Cockerels may also develop "streamers" in their crest. They are longer feathers that stick out of the crest and often stream backwards. Like my cockerel below (who had a small comb and waddles and a big rounded crest like a female).

Chel

(click on thumbnail pic to enlarge)

[​IMG]

8. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    hey guys I hatch only silkie chicks and can tell as early as 2 weeks with 80% certainty what sex it is.
    It really is quite easy. Watch your babes. The number one sign is what I call the elvis look.
    The second sign is the beak. On males the head feathers start to stream backward early on. In the majority of the males the beak is longer. By the age of one month I can tell with 90% accuracy who is roo!.

This guy is a roo to be!

9. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I would say girl !! [​IMG]
    Take Care
    Cristina

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I wonder why you say ROO? I dont see any streamers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by