Silkie Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by David Lassiter, Dec 27, 2016.

1. David Lassiter

David Lassiter Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    North Carolina
    Not sure how soon you can tell with silkies on the sex, but was wondering if anyone may be able to tell mine. It's about 6-7 weeks I believe. If the lady I bought from was accurate (she didn't seem to confident) lol. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]Thanks in advance!

2. David Lassiter

Dec 19, 2016
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Would like to see a photo of your silkie standing naturally in profile, and one face front with crest held back so it shows full extent of comb. Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age. sometimes not till they crow or lay.

4. David Lassiter

Dec 19, 2016
    North Carolina

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get one of the crest later

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks pullet-y for now, but it is too young to be sure, especially with Silkies.

6. David Lassiter

Dec 19, 2016
    North Carolina

That's what I'm hoping! It's been a great mother figure to the little EE I have, only one that hatched out of that batch. I tested them out to see how they'd do together with not high hopes because the silkie was so much older. But they get along great. If I pull the silkie out to hold, the chick will go nuts chirping until I put it back.

I've got another 15 eggs that should be hatching next Tuesday, so whenever they hatch I'll move the silkie to my smaller pen inside the big coop/run to start to introduce it. Hopefully the little EE will be happy with the new friends, only about 2 weeks apart

7. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Hen for sure!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by