Silkie Gender...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CamsCluckinChicks, Nov 18, 2009.

1. CamsCluckinChicks

CamsCluckinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    Hi again! [​IMG]

I ordered 2 buff Silkie day-old female chicks from MyPetChicken. I ended up receiving 2 buff & 1 blue. I'm positive 1 of the buff & the blue are females... But what do you make of this one?? It's the one on the right in the 1st photo - Suzy or a boy named Sue?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think 'she' might be a he. Which is fine...when I order my black Silkie next spring, I'll just have to order a pullet...still naming 'her' Biggie Smalls. LOL!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

It is still too young for me to tell, you will know for sure before spring,

3. CamsCluckinChicks

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    Guess I should have mentioned - the Silkie in question is 5 months old. LOL!

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It is a pullet.

5. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    that is the weirdest looking silkie i have ever seen, it has no fluff on its head at all. It would not surprise me if it is a crossbred, also because it is so much larger than the other buff in the picture. I think it's a pullet simply on the fact that the combs and wattles would be very small for a 5 month old cockerel. The pictures are of rather poor quality so it is hard to tell. Try to get some from the side as well and please, try to get a clear pic. [​IMG]

6. CamsCluckinChicks

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    No, she doesn't have ANY fluff on her head!! And she's starting to get this 'horn-like' comb thing on her 'fore'head. Plus, she's always standing erect, where the other 2 Silkies are usually more bent over...plus they have lots of fluff on their heads!! LOL!

She came straight from the hatchery...they guarantee breed 100% and gender 90% with the understanding you are getting a mix on multiple's of bearded and non-bearded. So, I assume [​IMG] she/he is a purebred Silkie. I thought maybe she was a he because when I went & looked online at pictures of Silkies, it seemed the cockerels/roo's always had more brushed back top feathers with weird & strangely beautiful combs...plus the kind of deep red it is...Suzy has started showing signs of an almost plum colored comb and wattles. Suzy's also the only 5-month old Silkie I have that hasn't started laying eggs. She's also the least friendly. Baloo (my blue Silkie) and Buffy (the other buff) are very friendly & will follow me around making that cute little 'beep' they make and they'll let me pick them up & pet them, etc., but Suzy runs from me and throws a fit when I catch her. Even my little Sophia, 3-month old white Silkie, lets me handle her easily. At 5 months, my Polish Cockerel is being a pistol - running from me & playing catch me if you can. He calms down after I finally catch him, but in the meantime, he's quite a little bugger! Quite like a teenager!! [​IMG] LOL!

We've had nothing but downpour rain here for a week...supposed to have one more day of it. I'll try to get some better pictures (might bring her in the house tomorrow!) & get them up asap.

Thanks!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Do you have a body profile? I am undecided.

8. CamsCluckinChicks

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
  9. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Amy's Animals :

that is the weirdest looking silkie i have ever seen, it has no fluff on its head at all. It would not surprise me if it is a crossbred, also because it is so much larger than the other buff in the picture. I think it's a pullet simply on the fact that the combs and wattles would be very small for a 5 month old cockerel. The pictures are of rather poor quality so it is hard to tell. Try to get some from the side as well and please, try to get a clear pic. [​IMG]

it is not a cross because all silkie cross first generation are smooth feathered​

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Suzy is a pullet.

Could be crossed with a silkieX to get silkied feathering. There is definitely a lot of non-silkie in the bird--type is wrong, size is wrong, lack of crest, etc. But for a pet, or a broody or eggs she will be as good as any better quality silkie. (Eating eggs, not hatching eggs)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by