Silkie genders!!! Are my guesses correct? Please help. Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Khyree, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Khyree

Khyree Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    Burien
    So i was reading that you could tell a silkie from it's streamers and tubular body... and by the thickness of it's feet... ???? [​IMG] the last silkie hatch i had included 4 boys and 1 girl... [​IMG] and i couldn't figure it out until they were crowing! I'd like to know a little sooner with this bunch if possible... so i took a head shot a body shot and a foot shot of each bird... could you please help me figure out how to tell them apart? I've put my guesses but that's pretty much what they are... A friend of mine is going to come and take the ones i can't keep on friday and i'd like to try to keep 2 girls for myself. Thank you!!! [​IMG]

First off a pic of my beautiful roo cuckoo who needs to go as he is too noisy for my neighborhood and getting a little uppity...

[​IMG]

Ok with him as my boy base here are the new hatchlings (as of 4/30)

Star... Girl?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Single... Boy?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mohawk... Boy?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dinky... Girl?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dawn/Don... Boy?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BlueEar...Boy?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BlackBeard... Boy?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bedhead... Girl?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Archemedes... Girl?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. Khyree

May 9, 2009
    Burien
    oh yeah and they hatched on 4/30... [​IMG]

3. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    OK... here's my guesses:
    Star-girl
    Single-boy
    Mohawk-boy
    Dinky- looks just like my little silkie, so I am saying girl, cause that's what I want [​IMG]
    Dawn/Don- What a wacky hairdo... from the back looks like a girl, but from the front, looks like streamers, and a bit of a comb- boy
    Blue ear- boy
    Blackbeard- definitely boy
    Bedhead- Boy, but not sure
    Archemedes- girl

I will be following this thread, nice selection of birds. I must have a silkie runt or something, it is at least 17 weeks old now and not as big as yours, maybe that means GIRL [​IMG]

4. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Okay, here's my guess (without looking at anyone elses) and the percentage of how sure I am.
    Star - Girl (90%)
    Single - Boy (60-70%)
    Mohawk - Boy (80-90%)
    Dinky - Boy or Girl (60/40) I might see some streamers but the comb doesn't look rooish
    Dawn - Girl or boy (60/40) I can't tell if those are streamers but its got a VERY fluffy crest, but the comb looks kinda rooish.
    Blue Ear - Boy (75-85%)
    Black Beard - Boy (75-85%)
    Bedhead - Girl (80-90%)
    Archemedes - Girl (80-90%)

5. Khyree

May 9, 2009
    Burien
    Thanks! That's making me feel better. [​IMG] A music teacher is coming by to get one today and she can't have roosters so she'll probably get.... aaaakkkk now i have to choose... dinky... dawn juan... bedhead???? star??? who can i part with???[​IMG]

6. Khyree

May 9, 2009
    Burien
    Thanks Flowerchicks [​IMG] Last time when I only had 1 girl and 4 roos she hatched out first with curled feet and we dubbed her 'Gimpy'. she was the smallest one but we thought for the longest time that she was that small because she was born weaker or whatever... turned out she was the only girl... so here's to hoping for your little one! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by