silkie genders guesses welcome *lots of pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suburbanminifarm, Dec 28, 2009.

1. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Anyone care to guess the gender of these 2 silkies? They are exactly 4 months old, hatched them at the end of August. I have horrible luck and always get cockerels....... so I'm leaning toward cockerel on both! [​IMG] Take a look...
    There is one white and one splash
    Oh! ~ and the white has his/her hair up in 2 pigtails or else he is blind as a bat and just stands still alot I forgot to take the pigtails out he has a very profuse crest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Look like pullets to me.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    The long neck on the white one is kinda suspicious to me, but otherwise they both look like pullets. I like the white one!

4. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    In my opinion, I think they are pullets. I am definitely not an expert though.

You said the white one would just stand there if you didn't have her crest in pigtails... I have one that will stay still and cry if the other silkies leaver her, but she won't move. You think it's because she can't see?

How did you rig up the pigtails?

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Girls, by this time you should see a comb. But if you think they are boys, just send them to me

6. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm not sure, but also wonder how long they'll last around your pet tiger?!?!

7. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:... I just saw that and I'm scared.

8. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:... I just saw that and I'm scared.

I saw that too! [​IMG] do you guys think its real?!?!?!?!?! it looks real to me [​IMG]

9. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Quote:Oh no! You need to get yourself some of the teeny tiny clear rubberbands! I use them on my DD every single day, so it's easy to just put the silkies' hair up too! I am sure it's because your girl can't see!! You'll see a remarkable change in her behavior for sure! If the white one's hair band falls out we have found him just facing a wall, or all by himself in the center of an open area... confused.... standing there for a long time... rather hilarious but not nice of us to laugh at him [​IMG]

I didn't realize the pic included my Tiger.......... how funny!!........ is it real or not -- hmmm what do you think?

I am shocked and surprised everyone so far has said pullet! So there is hope????

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I really thought that was a real tiger in the background......

LOL! They are beautiful though congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by