Silkie Genders?

LRH97

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
I'm trying to figure out some of the genders of my Silkies. So far I've been right about my older ones, which have turned out to all be roos. I've read about some tips in sexing them such as the "rounder" crests for females and "streamers" on the backs of the crests for the males. My older ones do have the more swept back crests and beautiful flowing hackles (and some nice crowing too!) I'm hoping to have a few more pullets, so I was wondering if anyone would have any opinions on these three younger birds? They're about 4 months old. If you need better/more pictures, I can get some tomorrow. They're not the best camera models.
lol.png
Thanks in advance!

#1 - Splash

#2 - Black

#3 - Blue

I'm pretty sure that #1 is a pullet. I"m not sure on the other two, but am leaning towards cockerel on #3 and pullet on #2.

I'm pretty sure that #1 is a pullet. I"m not sure on the other two, but am leaning towards cockerel on #3 and pullet on #2.

#1 is probably a pullet, and I'm leaning towards #2 being a pullet, too. I'm not sure about #3.
Thank you both! I'm kinda thinking the same on #3. I know you can't tell from the picture, but he (I'll call him a he from now on) seems to be slightly bigger boned and have a little more of a broader back. I'll probably end up buying a few more pullets.
smile.png

See, I'd guess 1 and 3 to be cockerels and 2 to maybe be a pullet. And that's why they're so darn hard to sex. You think you've got them figured, then BAM, overnight they'll grow streamers and other boy things or fill out and look like ladies.

Good luck, I hope you get some girls :fl

See, I'd guess 1 and 3 to be cockerels and 2 to maybe be a pullet. And that's why they're so darn hard to sex. You think you've got them figured, then BAM, overnight they'll grow streamers and other boy things or fill out and look like ladies.

Good luck, I hope you get some girls
fl.gif
Thank you! That statement couldn't be any truer. I thought my white pair were lovely little ladies, with their perfectly rounded little poofs on their heads. Guess what? WRONG! Last month they started to get a little more man-like in appearance and then one day, both decided to let out their little cock-a-doodle-doo's right in front of me. My mouth nearly hit the floor. Now they're as masculine looking as...as....Arnold Schwarzeneger! So here's to hoping. (and I really do hope I get some girls out of this batch too!)
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom